The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: '09 NFL Discussion
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:36 am 
Site Admin

Not nearly as big a football fan as I am a baseball fan. That said, go Pats !

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

Post subject: Re: '09 NFL Discussion
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:59 am 
Shadow Person

binnall wrote:
Not nearly as big a football fan as I am a baseball fan. That said, go Pats !

Hear ya Tim !!! Football can't give you what baseball does day in and day out . Baseball is the best !!!! Footbal fans brag about the ratings they get and say it's America's National Pasttime . They only play once a week !!!!
Of course they get great ratings ,it's an event . Baseball is there for you almost every day !!! It's still extremely popular !!! When has a Superbowl given you the thrills that a 7 game Yank and Sox ALCS has given us several times AND MAY AGAIN ?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:09 pm 
Merovingian

Baseball is my first love, but these days, but I like going to the college football games (no nfl team here). I'd much rather see the game in person than watch on tv. All I know this year is I hope that Michael Vick gets his ass kicked every week. And I'll try really hard not to watch Brett Farve embarrass himself.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:15 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

MYSTERYMAN wrote:
When has a Superbowl given you the thrills that a 7 game Yank and Sox ALCS has given us several times AND MAY AGAIN ?

To each his own, but a high school football game can give you more thrills than the best baseball has to offer.

When's the last time you were at a baseballl game and got up out of your seat because what was happening on the field was amazing? You stand up for the seventh inning stretch, the chicken dance and the wave.

At a football game, a long run or pass play, a bone-crunching hit, an interception or sack can lift you out of your seat.

You're right. Football is an event.

You know that on any one play, you may have just witnessed the end of someone's playing career. Nothing else compares.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:27 pm 
Member of Trilateral Commission

Quote:
When's the last time you were at a baseballl game and got up out of your seat because what was happening on the field was amazing? You stand up for the seventh inning stretch, the chicken dance and the wave.

The last time I got up in excitement? I go to Pirates games so...

Football is the new American Pastime. No doubt. Look at the amount of coverage given to the NFL during the offseason (rookie combines, draft, training camp coverage). And nothing matches the gargantuan nature of the Super Bowl™.

That said, the most exciting sport is (playoff) hockey. Any sport that can actually make me cheer when I'm watching a game on tv is exciting.

Auto racing is hands down my absolutely favorite "sport" (I'm not going to bait myself into the ridiculous 'is racing a sport argument') but hockey is so exciting that it's almost hard to watch (i.e. 2009 Stanley Cup Finals Game 7).

Here We Go Steelers!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:51 pm 
Shadow Person

redsonsuperman wrote:
MYSTERYMAN wrote:
When has a Superbowl given you the thrills that a 7 game Yank and Sox ALCS has given us several times AND MAY AGAIN ?

To each his own, but a high school football game can give you more thrills than the best baseball has to offer.

At a football game, a long run or pass play, a bone-crunching hit, an interception or sack can lift you out of your seat.

You're right. Football is an event.

You know that on any one play, you may have just witnessed the end of someone's playing career. Nothing else compares.

That's because you love football ! That doesn't make anyone right or wrong,just different opinions . Enjoy the season !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:55 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

jboston wrote:
That said, the most exciting sport is (playoff) hockey.

Auto racing is hands down my absolutely favorite "sport" (I'm not going to bait myself into the ridiculous 'is racing a sport argument') but hockey is so exciting that it's almost hard to watch (i.e. 2009 Stanley Cup Finals Game 7).

Here We Go Steelers!!!

Jboston, hockey and auto racing are two phenomenal sports that some consider "regional" sports. Thankfully I live in a "region" that cherishes both.

It's going to be interesting to see how your Pens deal with the loss of Scuderi.

I share your excitement for the Steelers.

Really excited to see Ziggy Hood as a pro and hoping Limas Sweed or rookie Mike Wallace can contribute offensively.

There's not much to be excited about with the Lions. Ziggy Hood has more talent in his pinkie than the Lions entire defensive line. But anything will be better than another 0-16 season. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:31 pm 

Quote:
It's going to be interesting to see how your Pens deal with the loss of Scuderi.

The Pen's are maxed out on salaries with Crosby and Malkin.

I'm more concerned about Talbot's injury.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:02 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

Re: Football vs Baseball, I'm a fan of both, but I think Baseball has far too many meaningless games. You can shit the bed until the All-Star break, turn it around, and still make it into the playoffs. I prefer something where there's a bit more on the line in every game. It creates more emotion, more engagement, and more spectacle. This applies to basketball as well. Series driven sports just don't pack the same punch for me that football (on any level) does. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy them, just that I'm a football fan above all else. Just my personal opinion, of course.

Anyway, Hoping the Saints are able to pull it together this season. Offense was unstoppable last year, but the defense was porous to the extreme. I don't think Gregg Williams is going to magically turn it into a top five unit, but it has looked more aggressive in the pre-season and done a good job of trying to get the ball. If they can just get to the middle of the pack, it could be the difference maker (several of the games lost last year were by less than a touchdown.). This team has the offensive talent as good as any team in the NFL. But unfortunately, you need more than half a team to be a contender. Let's hope it starts this year.

The NFC South is always a weird division, but right now I think it's shaping up like this:

Atlanta- I look for them to be very good again this year, but I think that their defensive issues will become more of a problem.

Carolina- The team is getting old and they have a habit of uneven play. Dellhome's five INT's in against the Cardinal's last year wasn't something they wanted to end on.

Tampa- A mess. A total, complete mess. New head coach, they lost Monte Kiffin, they've changed defensive schemes, they don't have a great quarterback (I don't dislike Leftwhich, but dude is slower than Christmas), they just demoted their Offensive Coordinator two weeks before the season starts....This could be a really, really bad team.

New Orleans- IF the defense can step their game up, there is no reason the Saints should not win the division. Atlanta will likely be the biggest problem, so exploiting THEIR defensive issues will be key. We'll see. I've been a Saints fan for far too long to get my hopes up irrationally, but I think this team is as good as the one that went to the NFC Championship Game in '06.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:42 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

Saints are the real deal. 4-0, with a defense that now matches the offense. Golden Boy Mark Sanchez got his first real taste of pro ball today. The NFL is on notice!

Can't wait for the Giants game in two weeks. Gonna be a great game and I'm gonna be at the Dome to see it all!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:47 pm 
Site Admin

Nice win for the Saints, Orpheus ! I clearly underestimated them. They are, indeed, the real deal this year.

Meanwhile, Pats are finally starting to look like they've got their shit together. They really handled the Ravens quite well today and the score would have been a lot different if not for the Pats fumble that rolled into the endzone for a giveaway touchdown for Baltimore.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:33 pm 

Steelers nearly blew it against the Chargers. They are not the team they were last year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:51 pm 
Site Admin

I'm kind of pissed that the Pats don't play the Steelers this year.

The NFL scheduling is awful. Every AFC team should play each other once, if possible.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:57 pm 
Shadow Person

binnall wrote:

The NFL scheduling is awful. Every AFC team should play each other once, if possible.

How can you be thinking about football now ????? It's playoff time !!!!! lol.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:17 pm 

Quote:

To be honest I'm kind of glad the Steelers don't play the Patriots. I'm really disappointed at the way the season has went down so far. Two terrible losses (the Bengals!?!) and the two wins were ugly.