The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best esoteric TV show.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:50 am 
Site Admin

Present day : Can I say none ? lol So many to choose from, so few of true quality. Perhaps those "UFO Files" shows on basic cable, as they are usually mildly informative (though too even handed to be worth anything).

All time : Unsolved Mysteries or Sightings

Your turn.

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:20 am 
Presidential Hopeful

It seems our tastes align once again, Bin.

I have not been impressed by any of the recent esoteric shows. But my favorites will always be Unsolved Mysteries and Sightings. I probably like UM more, but I will always consider Sightings the more hardcore show. Occasionally UM would feel a bit too much like America's Most Wanted with true crimes and missing persons reports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:33 am 
Merovingian

I really like those too. I also have a fondness in my heart for In search of..., because I used to always watch it as a kid and it is one of the things that really got me into ufos and all this crazy stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:40 am 
Site Admin

It seems there are so many new ones and so few done well.

Unsolved Mysteries probably inspired many young people who are into esoterica. I remember when that show first started and it was like an event when it was on. Then when it became a regular series, it was still awesome. Interesting history of UM on (Wikipedia)

I'd like to see more newsmagazine style shows (ala Sightings), instead of the tiresome re-enactment style. I haven't seen that Nat'l Geographic show yet, but it may be decent. Still haven't seen the Dolan Sci Fi show (I hate Boston Rob, the co-host).

I agree that "In Search Of" was great and "before its time". I didn't discover it until after UM, so it didn't resonate as well with me, because it seemed dated. That said, their Bigfoot episode was excellent and one that probably sparked my original interest in the 'Foot.

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:58 am 
Merovingian

I wish they would date them - - maybe they can't find a chisle.

Seriously - - we need some new shows.

I've read there are quite a few new Sci-fi and Esoteric shows in the works - - lets hope they make it to air.

And let's hope the Sci-fi channel can figure out the difference between horror and Science Fiction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:22 am 
Member of the Federal Reserve

lesley wrote:
I really like those too. I also have a fondness in my heart for In search of..., because I used to always watch it as a kid and it is one of the things that really got me into ufos and all this crazy stuff.

I used to watch "In Search Of..." every week. Always wondered if Leonard Nimoy was wearing his Spock ears during tapings.

If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their money, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them (around the banks), will deprive the people of their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:47 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

I liked Unsolved Mysteries but it was a bit too spotty for me. Most of the shows were about murders or missing persons rather than UFOs.

My favorite show had to be Sightings. It certainly was one of the TV shows that I found most influential. I also enjoyed.

I can't believe no one mentioned Encounters though. That was right up there with Sightings in quality. Ah...the good old days. The 90s was a good time of Estoteric TV. Besides a few shows one the Sci-fi Channel, those kinds of shows seem to have gone extinct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:11 pm 
Member of the Federal Reserve

DeSota wrote:
My favorite show had to be Sightings. It certainly was one of the TV shows that I found most influential. I also enjoyed.

I never much watched Sightings, but wasn't that Linda Moulton Howe's project?

If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their money, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them (around the banks), will deprive the people of their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:40 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

Austin Nichols wrote:
DeSota wrote:

I never much watched Sightings, but wasn't that Linda Moulton Howe's project?

I don't know if it was her project, but I know she was sure as hell on it quite a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:51 pm 
Merovingian

I don't know who did what exactly and who was on what show - - - but I have seen them all - more then thrice.

I watched Mr. Wizard as a kid - - - Land of the Lost - Twilight Zone - Outer Limits - X-Files - One Step Beyond - Superman - Treasure Hunt - The Amazing Kreskin - - - I know there are many more.

I planted myself directly in front of the TV for the first ep of Star Trek saying if anyone disturbs me I'm going to Ray Gun them.

I love the British teen show "The Tribe" - its such a kick. Great deconstructed clothes.

I need new stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:57 pm 
Merovingian

Oscar wrote:
I don't know who did what exactly and who was on what show - - - but I have seen them all - more then thrice.

I watched Mr. Wizard as a kid - - - Land of the Lost - Twilight Zone - Outer Limits - X-Files - One Step Beyond - Superman - Treasure Hunt - The Amazing Kreskin - - - I know there are many more.

I planted myself directly in front of the TV for the first ep of Star Trek saying if anyone disturbs me I'm going to Ray Gun them.

I love the British teen show "The Tribe" - its such a kick. Great deconstructed clothes.

I need new stuff!

I totally loved Land of the Lost when I was a kid! I was thinking of checking if it ever came out on DVD because I would like to get it for my niece and nephew. I also want to get them the complete set of Pee Wee's Playhouse, which was a great show for kids and adults.

There was another show when I was way young, I think it was called HR Puffin Stuff? It had a witch and all kinds of fantasy type characters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:05 pm 
Merovingian

Ah - Lesley - - I think my kids watched H.R. Pufnstuf. :lol:

I still love Land of the Lost - - and it still plays on TV occasionally.

I also love Godzilla movies. The one Monster flick I could never get into is "Alien".