PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

Let the debate begin ...

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:04 pm 
Presidential Hopeful

This is a tough choice to make.

Do you go for the innovator? Those games the invented genres or brought gaming to a more wide audience

Or do you go for the perfecter. The games that takes a genre or game mechanic and polish it to a glimmering shine.

There is also such a wide variety of games. Can something like Tetris or Pong really be compared to BioShock or Okami? Video games run the gamut from simple stick figures doing rudimentary things to movie-like experiences complete with cinema-quality CGI and complex stories.

Still, all of this said, I vote Half Life as the greatest game of all time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

Khyron wrote:
This is a tough choice to make.

Do you go for the innovator? Those games the invented genres or brought gaming to a more wide audience

Or do you go for the perfecter. The games that takes a genre or game mechanic and polish it to a glimmering shine.

There is also such a wide variety of games. Can something like Tetris or Pong really be compared to BioShock or Okami? Video games run the gamut from simple stick figures doing rudimentary things to movie-like experiences complete with cinema-quality CGI and complex stories.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why Khyron is the man.

I agree that it is hard to compare something like Pong to GTA, they're just worlds apart.

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:54 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

Kryron makes some great observations about how do you judge the best game based on how far the industry has evolved.

I could mention the shear fun of having a kid kick your but in Mario cart, all the Wii games have an addictive quality to them.
Metroid was a good adventure.
Nascar simulators online with all the true physics you could setup to get an advantage... I mean come on Martin Truex Jr. got to drive for Earnhardt Inc just by beating Dale Jr. constantly during online gaming sessions.

My favorite of all time so far is Unreal Tournament 2004
The pure action that scared the crap out of me it became so real.
The customized maps and skins you could make a virtual copy of your hood or favorite place and annihlate anyone that came by.
You could go to one server and totally crush everyone on the board, then go somewhere else and get spanked so hard it hurt your feelings.

The clan competitions, putting on a mic and make people look bad at capture the flag.
Onslaught with it's military like battles that included almost indestructible tanks, hovercraft vehicular slaughter, nukes, starwars type spacefighter craft.....(and the occasional custom crapper on wheels) and anything that includes a vehicle named leviathan is awesome!!
So many things I liked about that game..... not to mention any game based on that game engine gets my blood pumping.

and has forgotten the gift.”
-- Albert Einstein --

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:25 pm 
Presidential Hopeful

For the record, although I consider Half Life to be the greatest game of all time, I would have to vote Deus Ex as my favorite one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:39 pm 
Friend of the Illuminati

As a sports fan, I consider MVP Baseball 2005 as the best ever. I know it's a niche game, but for the price of games, I love the replay value of most sports games.

MVP not had the best baseball engine (it's easy enough my Dad loves it, and he has hated every baseball game since RBI back in '87), but the players are pretty spot on, the create a player is robust enough to create anyone but the kicker is the Owner Mode. When you can control the price of a bobblehead at the stadium trying to make some cash to sign that one free agent you need, that's pretty f'n cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:26 pm 
CFR Fat Cat

I think, that if I base my judgement on the game that has wasted the most of my time, I'd have to go for GTA III. Vice City and San Andreas have each made improvements on III, but I guess I just get a certain satisfaction out of being Claude.

If I go by genre, Need for Speed is my favorite racer, Medieval:Total War my favorite strategy game (I faithfully buy each Age of Empires, but Total War has the advantage that you can actually fight the battles), and for shooter, Doom (all of them) is still the most satisfying (if you're going to run around shooting things, it might as well be graphic and this is the only game where the whole idea is to run around shooting things, no missions, just pure havoc).

And for arcade style, I really like the Reflexive remakes of all the classic space shooters, like Astrobatics and Astro Fury....they combine the classic games like Space Invaders and Defender with fantastic graphics in a way that is quite addictive.

Last edited by smokincat on Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:28 pm 
Low Initiate Freemason

I know next to nothing about recent games, so I'll have to venture back to the days of my misspent youth and cast a vote for "Phantasy Star II" on the Sega Genesis. On more than one occasion I feigned sickness so that I could stay home from school and play it. Going back even further, "Hardball" and "Aztec Challenge" were nice time wasters on the C-64.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:55 pm 
CFR Fat Cat

Oh yeh..best online game is Dragon Court 2. This is by Fred Haslam, the guy who invented Sim City, and despite the occasional boredom (hey, it's on online game), he keeps shaping it with player input and imo it's the closest I've found so far to AD&D. Plus, he shows up now and then...kind of cool when the game creator is accesible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:26 am 
CFR Fat Cat

Tetris........ 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:37 am 
Member of the Federal Reserve

circledancer wrote:
Tetris........ 8)

tetris is why i bought a nintendo

If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their money, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them (around the banks), will deprive the people of their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:03 am 
Friend of the Illuminati

I spent the better part of my Jr. High Years playing Tetris on my Gameboy instead of paying attention. So if you are here, Mr. Ruark, I wasn't paying attention..Even when the batteries were dead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:34 pm 
CFR Fat Cat

After a couple weeks of non-stop playing during my marathon to commemorate the 14th birthday of the game, I have to switch my vote for All-Time Best game to Doom. For its time, and even now, the graphics and game engine are superb and the fact that the authors made it open sourced means that I will never run out of game levels to play. Combining a first-person shooter game with a labyrinth game is sheer diabolic genius. And the topper: its as fun to play sober as it is to play drunk.