The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:37 pm 
Friend of the Illuminati

Picked my copy up at the midnight launch and they handed me another free figure (Gamestop had an exclusive Star Wars Stormtrooper figure for pre ordering it, they gave me one a week ago and then gave me another at the launch like everyone else...ebay here I come lol).

Basically it's God of War but Star Wars and force powers. For the 360 and PS3 it's beautiful, animations are awesome in it. It's also available on the PS2, PSP and Wii.

It's been getting pretty average scores as far as reviews go, but if you're a Star Wars fan (or even just like the movies or fun action games) the story and gameplay is worth it.

It;s set between episodes III and IV, using lots of little nods to fans to tie it in with all of the movies.

It's not the longest game (roughly 10 hours), but trying to get all the extras will give you some extra playthroughs. Plus after finishing it you can restart the game with all of your extra abilities, lightsabres and costumes.

You owe it to yourself and your inner Jedi/Sith to at least give it a rental. If you don't go in hoping for online multiplayer and sweeping RPG gaming, you won't be dissappointed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:40 pm 
Low Initiate Freemason

I downloaded the demo for 360. I played it until I finished it and that was enough for me. Like most people said, it's pretty much the same as Psi-Ops, except you have a light sabre.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:31 pm 
Friend of the Illuminati

BishopLord wrote:
I downloaded the demo for 360. I played it until I finished it and that was enough for me. Like most people said, it's pretty much the same as Psi-Ops, except you have a light sabre.

does one need more than a lightsaber? LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:18 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

I'm playing through it right now. I like it well enough, but about halfway through the game the novelty starts to wear thing. The story is an upside, though. Wasn't expecting that to be as interesting as it was.

X-Play said in their review that it seems like the developers seemed to have stopped caring at some point in development, and I'm inclined to agree. If you look at the Kashyyyk level with Vader, your force abilities seem to have slightly more influence on the environment (moving the bridges as a side effect of using the force, fully destrucable buildings, etc.) and as the game goes on that level of superficial interactivity decreases somewhat.

Also, as the game goes on, I find myself using lightsaber combat and force lightning mostly. I don't hardly force throw enemies unless the game calls for it, because it takes too long and if you're in a group of enemies you'll get smacked.

Still, I am enjoying it. I'd like to see a better developed sequel of some sort eventually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:10 pm 
Friend of the Illuminati

Part of what happened is Lucasarts fired half of the development team before they were halfway done. I never heard why, but I suppose it has to do with all the changes that took place after all of the companies sold to one another.

The story is great, but once you get to one part you begin getting more frustrated than anything. My bro was there today (I've already beaten it on 360) and was playing it onthe PS3. He had to come get me to show him what to do.

That was my first time playing a PS3 and I have to say, I can't stand the new SOny controller. There's way too much give in the analog sticks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:16 pm 
Low Initiate Freemason

Primus wrote:
BishopLord wrote:

does one need more than a lightsaber? LOL

Hell yes. The light sabre is only so-so, IMO, but having the ability to levitate and throw a Stormtrooper? Oh yeah. But it did get old really fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:28 pm 
Low Initiate Freemason

Orpheus wrote:
Also, as the game goes on, I find myself using lightsaber combat and force lightning mostly. I don't hardly force throw enemies unless the game calls for it, because it takes too long and if you're in a group of enemies you'll get smacked.

You know, when watching the 6 SW movies, I have always wondered why they didn't use the force throw more often. They always seemed to just do hand to hand combat (lightsabre fights) as opposed to taking advantage of all their Jedi skills. It would seem that the only times the force throws were used was when a group of droids were in their path. IMO, during any of the duels, one or the other Jedi / Sith, should have been using the throws on each other. IIRC, I believe Dooku was the only one that took advantage of throwing Obi Won in ROTS.

Who knows. Maybe using those force throws puts a strain on your mitichlorians or something :lol: