The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:46 am 
Friend of the Illuminati

I've said more than a few times during this generation of consoles (including these forums and in AIM chats with some fellow members) that the Wii was horrible, that it sucked and that it had no good games. At the time, I might have been right about the no good games bit. Other than The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess there was really no must have software on the system for what has now been labled as "hardcore" gamers.

I had a Wii at launch and after playing Zelda and Wii Sports to death, I sold it and had no regrets. I had my Xbox 360 and all the beautiful games that had come out for that and the future with all of the games that were to come. That was until I started reading about some games for the Wii that seemed interesting. Games such as the Steven Spielberg headed Boom Blox and SEGAs Madworld. It seemed that there were some games coming out that might be fun to play but not worth shelling out another $250 plus the price of the games to try.

As the months went on new games were released and announced, some seemed ok, others seemed to just be rehashes or games that didn't appeal to me. Then came the fateful day I saw a trailer for a game that would change everything for me.
As a child of the NES, there are certain franchises that will always hold a special place in my heart, Kid Icarus, Metroid, Super Mario Brothers, Castlevania and Punch Out!!. As the video loaded, I was expecting, well honestly I didn't know what to expect. Would it be realistic? Would it be anime influenced? Would it be changed in a way that it was only related to the original in name? As the opening theme played I suspected that I wouldn't be able to even recognize the game. However, when the opponent theme played followed by the main characters theme played, I was in heaven.

After 15 years PUNCH OUT!! was back!

It didn't take long for me to realize I had to buy a Wii. This one game, with it's simplistic controls and cartoony look transported me to 1988 when my friends and I would spend day after day trying to work out the boxers patterns, calling each other at 2 in the morning when we figured out another one all in hopes of getting to fight Mike Tyson. Everything was there, everything was set when my dad walked in and asked me point blank what I wanted for Christmas. It was perfect as the only two times I'd ever asked for a console was for the NES with Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! and the SNES with Super Punch Out!!. He must have known because as soon as I said "A Wii" he asked, "Let me guess, a new Punch Out is out, right?"

Aside from Punch Out!!, Nintendo has now released NEW Super Mario Bros. Wii, which takes the series back to it's 2D roots but adds multiplayer for up to four people. I've also downloaded a new 2D Castlevania on their WiiWare section which takes the series back to it's Castlevania 1-3 roots. Sure, people can complain that they are selling the Wii based on the memories the older fans have for what we consider "our" games, but as games try to outdo each other more and more on graphics, violence (which I have no problem with) and innovation to an increasingly fickle crowd brought up on the PS2 and the Xbox, these small tokens by the companies saying "don't worry, we didn't forget about you" is great.

I never wanted Nintendo to fail. They are too much a part of my life to want to see that. I just wanted to see them put some effort into doing more than Wii Fit and Wii Play. I'm not giving up on my 360, I'm playing through Dragon Age:Origins right now, it's just that I do find myself playing Wii more which is something I'd never imagine myself ever doing.