The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:17 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

gttalk wrote:
It's really a shame. I really wanted to keep up my Coast subscription but just couldn't justify it. When you are searching the coming week and just hoping for a guest host or an interesting show it's just not worth it. Noory may be a good guy and a great person to have as a neighbor. But, he is killing a really lengendary show. I wonder what Art Bell really thinks? Anyway, it's real shame.

I doubt Art cares too much. He's got his money. His lifestyle is secure. He was always driven by money, although early on he hid it well. By the end it was really obvious, though.

Not to take anything away from him. At his peak, he was a master. But the driving force was by no means truth or altruism.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:26 am 
Y2K Profiteer

Primus wrote:
(sort of like the Paul is Dead hoax) .

Billy Shepperd would disagree.
http://digilander.libero.it/jamespaul/fc1.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:29 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Ian "Smartest Guy in the Room" Punnett outdid himself on July 2 with former Navy Seal Howard Wasdin.

First, he did his 'aw shucks' insulting routine. he can't fathom how the guy could be in the Navy and not know about the Navy Seals until he meets a couple of them. And as the guy is trying to explain how that was entirely possible at the time he joined, Ian keeps saying, 'Right....Right...Right" like he doesn't buy his story. It was really rude.

Wasdin then tries to give a brief explanation of the progression from UDTs to Navy Seals to Seal Team 6 and Ian gets snagged on what he feels are the important points for the listeners to understand. (Ian, such a wise man and teacher for us all :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

(and my ALL CAPS later are just to show emphasis, not an indication of voices raising, btw)

Ian: "The training level between the UDTs and the Seals, that became one of the defining differences between what used to be what was good enough to be a UDT and what became good enough to be a Seal."

Wasdin: "I don't know that I'd use the term good enough Ian, because that's kind of undermining our predecessors. It's a change in mission. Those guys had to go in and clear the beaches. Imagine going in and clearing the beaches at Normandy

Ian interrupts: "Oh, yeah."
(as in, oh, yeah, you're not telling me anything I don't already know)

Wasdin continues: "What I mean by that is everything from 21 feet of water line coming out from the beach, 21 feet of water, all the way in and all the obstacles that would have kept the troop carriers from landing were cleared by the UDT, the predecessors of the Seals. So now you have a mission change, okay. It's a different skill set. It's not a harder or whatever, or a more intense training. It's a mission change, going from that type of op to the type of counter insurgency, close quarter battle op you see today."

Ian: Well, okay but I'm going -- so much of the book, and I've read your book, SO YOU'RE AT A DISADVANTAGE HERE, because I was very interested ...."

Wasdin cuts Ian off and counters: "NO I WROTE IT. I'M STILL AT AN ADVANTAGE."

Ian: But what I mean is in most interviews, I mean maybe you're not getting everyone that's read the book. I've read this book. ...."

It takes a lot of balls to tell an author that THEY ARE AT A DISADVANTAGE in a discussion about their own book.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:37 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

Ian is the worst, and that kind of stuff is a prime example why. Noory doesn't care, but Ian thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. Only a true asshat would say something like "You're at a disadvantage, I read your book." Guy had a good reply, though.

If I want to listen about SEAL training, I'll talk to a SEAL, not a 350 lb guy that sits behind a microphone for a living.