The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:38 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

I went over to the Fantastic Forum, figuring they'd have something about Art not doing the prediction shows and folks there are saying Art has ended his affiliation with Coast, though there has been no official statement by anyone.

Apparently his hamcam message reads:

"The Wind No Longer Blows, in the End it was Without Direction. Long live the Hot Air."

A shot at Noory? Long live the Hot Air?
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Why does everything have to be cryptic. Just shoot straight and tell people what's going on.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:51 am 
Merovingian

Without direction and full of hot air - sounds like Noory to me. :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:14 am 
Y2K Profiteer

Wouldn't it be great if Art competed with c2c?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:34 pm 
C2C Annual Guest

He would moida em I tell ya. :-) (The previous sounds even funnier if you heard me say it in my southern accent.) :-)

It is a shame cause Art built a show that became part of the late night radio culture. I trust I'm not the only one who couldn't bear to hear Ian talk to the horse dude again?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:34 pm 
Friend of the Illuminati

gttalk wrote:
He would moida em I tell ya. :-) (The previous sounds even funnier if you heard me say it in my southern accent.) :-)

It is a shame cause Art built a show that became part of the late night radio culture. I trust I'm not the only one who couldn't bear to hear Ian talk to the horse dude again?

Wait a second...Was that from last week or the week before where the guy claimed to really be a horse and then said that there are lots of others like that? If so, I really thought that was part of a weird dream I had after taking some pain killers for my wrist and teeth.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:21 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

I wonder if the last straw was that horrible interview Noory did with Whitley Strieber recently. Strieber's disgust at his constant interruptions and COMPLETE inability to listen was palpable.

Whitley: So the gulf stream is slowing and that's causing temperatures to plummet in
Noory: But it's all a cycle right?!
Whitley: Well yes, but human activity isn't helping things..
Noory: But it's just a cycle isn't it?
Whitley: Anyway like I was saying the jet stream is dipping down affecting the climate across the continental united states and..
Noory: What if it 's an Asteroid? What if the government an asteroid is coming and won't tell us?
Whitley: *sigh* Maybe George, but an asteroid isnt' affecting the weather right now...like I said the climate is shifting globally because..
Noory: Do you believe in angels?
Whitley:..........FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Noory: Let's take some calls. First time caller line you're up!
Caller: Furst of all I got ta tell you that this har global warmin is a commie plot! Also one time I done saw this light in tha sky...

Yeah it was pretty much like that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:48 am 
Oil Industry Executive

So he's officially done and word from some circles is he couldn't take what the show had become anymore. I've read a few rumblings about a Ham recording (that may very well be several years old) in which Art seems rather...unimpressed...with Noory. Anyone ever heard this?

At the end of the day, this doesn't mean much. He'd done ten shows this year, and most of his shows these days amounted to "safety blanket" guests like Kaku and the EVP folks. He had no creative input on the direction of the show, either. But still, unlike previous "retirements" this one definitely seems a bit more...acrimonious.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:53 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Orpheus wrote:
So he's officially done and word from some circles is he couldn't take what the show had become anymore. I've read a few rumblings about a Ham recording (that may very well be several years old) in which Art seems rather...unimpressed...with Noory. Anyone ever heard this?

At the end of the day, this doesn't mean much. He'd done ten shows this year, and most of his shows these days amounted to "safety blanket" guests like Kaku and the EVP folks. He had no creative input on the direction of the show, either. But still, unlike previous "retirements" this one definitely seems a bit more...acrimonious.

Yeah, that record isn't new. I've heard it before. It's pretty interesting. If I remember correctly, he talks about how he'd warned Noory about moving to Calif. and getting to close to the corporate folks.
Turns out that Noory became just what the corporate types wanted.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:28 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

Breaks my heart. At the same time, Art is slowing down and kind of out of the esoteric loop. His love of Obama, hate of 9-11 conspiracy theories, amusement of the US economy-crash, etc. shows just how unplugged-in he is not only with the genre but the country he left.

Not that it's the authority, but on Wikipedia ...

"Art Bell hosted 10 episodes in 2010, 5 short of his publicly-announced, contractually-specified quota of 15 shows per year. His last hosting gig was his annual Ghost To Ghost show on Halloween night (the first time he ever used call screeners).

As of December 18, 2010, Art was no longer listed as a host on the Coast to Coast website; his shows were no longer searchable under his name; and the only references to Bell on the site are of an historical or archival nature. (Somewhere In Time with Art Bell continues to run on Saturday nights before the live show.)

On 12/21/10 the "HamCam" on Art's ham radio website[27] featured an image with the following cryptic wording: "The Wind No Longer Blows, in the End it was Without Direction. Long Live the Hot Air. 30"[28] Fans on Art-centric comment boards have identified "30" as "a sign-off when a Ham has their final transmission from a particular location."[29] Other interpretations are similar: "The End", "Good Night", "No More".

It was announced that Ian Punnett would host Art's annual two-part New Year's Eve prediction shows. Initially, Noory had said that Art was unable to host them because he would be traveling, but on 12/24/10 Noory said: "We had asked Art to do his predictions show; he's going to spend time with his family. He's winding down, folks, he's winding down....I don't anticipate he'll do any more shows." On the first of the two nights (12/30/10), Punnett made a brief, oblique reference to his having the honor of "picking up Art's fallen mantle".
"

"This series presents information based in part on theory and conjecture. The producer's purpose is to suggest some possible explanations, but not necessarily the only ones, to the mysteries we will examine."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:58 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

Lone Gunman wrote:
Breaks my heart. At the same time, Art is slowing down and kind of out of the esoteric loop. His love of Obama, hate of 9-11 conspiracy theories, amusement of the US economy-crash, etc. shows just how unplugged-in he is not only with the genre but the country he left.

Definitely. I'd noticed over the last few years callers (or even guests) would reference something pretty well known in contemporary esoteric circles (conspiracies, scientific theories, books whatever) and Art would say he knew nothing about it. He's been unplugged from this sphere for a while now, and I think that's why most of his guests were repeats like the EVP people. They don't really require being up to date with new theories, research, personalities, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:08 pm 
Merovingian

Except for ghost to ghost and the prediction shows, I really won't miss Art. If he was ever like the old days where he was up on everything, had new guests on and read their books, he would be great again, but I don't see that happening.

That said, Ian Punnett needs to go. He has become entirely too snarky with everyone! It used to be that he was sometimes snarky to callers that kind of deserved it, but now he is that way with everyone. He is annoying to listen to and I don't listen to his shows anymore. If you ask me he doesn't like doing c2c at all, he must need the money really bad or something.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:15 am 
C2C 1st Hour Pop-In Guest

I'll miss Art... he needs to do a podcast.

It's getting difficult to listen to most of Noory's shows... He spaced out half the time... those blankly offered canned responses are getting really irritating. I think he's a great guy, but he needs to do less shows... Maybe then he'll be more engaged? Say what you will about Ian, at least he's engaged, and there... and every now and then he has a fantastic show.

The guy who filled in in the 29th, John B. Wells, was awesome. What a voice. I really hope he gets more air time.

George Knapp <3.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:46 am 
Oil Industry Executive

My problem with Ian is that his interview style has changed radically. At one point, I really enjoyed him. His guests were a bit more diverse and he was better than Noory in that he at least did the reading and could keep up with the conversation. But slowly, some sort of transition occurred and he started becoming snarky and argumentative with callers and guests. Now sure, some deserve it, but he began doing it to everyone. Then he started injecting way too much opinion, became convinced he was far smarter than he actually is (and as such, an expert on every subject) and now every interview is dripping with a haughty, condescending tone.

I just can't stand him anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:06 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

I remember about a year or two ago when listening to Art and he was talking about getting up every day and watching the Fox Business Channel. He spoke about it like he was watching a daily horror movie with the destruction of our economy and his utter fascination with it.

Then he chortled that he "got out of the market at the right time." Fuck you Art, the people who helped make you, kind of find it insulting. We're all not that far from fighting each other over cat food cans, dickhead.

It's a case of being so detached, he's lost touch. Like a great athlete who's lost his fastball, he's still better than 90 percent of the pitchers out there so to speak, but a mere shell of his former self.

"This series presents information based in part on theory and conjecture. The producer's purpose is to suggest some possible explanations, but not necessarily the only ones, to the mysteries we will examine."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:14 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

As far as Ian goes, I have hated how he operates forever (check out my first post ever and I talked about him thinking he's hillarious and how I couldn't stand him).

But at the same time, his guests sometimes best reflect the spirit of the show under Art. The most versatile and genre bending shows are usually his. In fact, if I had to name my favorite Coast shows of the past year, year and a half, he's probably hosted more than half of them (The Runestone, French Foreign Legion, Neil Howe, Jason Offutt, Robert Young Pelton, the escaping scientology show, etc.).

His interviewing techniques are brutal. I sometime fantasize about choking him to death during them and I still laugh about his avoidance of UFO, ghost, paranormal and possession topics. Plus he is the most insulting to callers as well.

BUT sometimes, his guest selections offer one of our last, best hopes for a great C2C show. Pathetic, isn't it?

Last edited by Lone Gunman on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.