The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Art Bell C2C AM
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:03 pm 
Low Initiate Freemason

Well, I did the unthinkable.

After years of listening to podcasts, including BoA audio, I grabbed some Art Bell episodes of C2C off the interwebs. I now understand what the Art Bell fandom was all about.

Art Bell sure did a good job. He was a real "broadcaster". Every word was pronounced with clipped military precision. Shows ran smoothly. The music was kitsch but fun. Even the relentless hoax shows with caller after caller from Area 51, the future, the past -- were fun. Art Bell seems like the last bridge to the broadcasting age. He maintained a neutral "everyman" position while still taking the topics seriously.

I've probably listened to twenty shows. I can see why people say those times won't come again. Everything from the opening, with all the time zones references and the "good morning, good afternoon, good evening wherever you are", to the fact that there were real call-ins, made you feel like you were participating in something. Each show was a kind of event. Probably some of radio at its best.

I haven't listened to any Noory shows. From what I have heard of Noory's stint on C2C -- just clips -- he seems by comparison foggy and even congested. His questions don't seem so much original (as in self-generated, coming from him) as arrived at through practice and effort. It makes you suspect that this subject-matter was never as much a matter of personal interest for him as a professional requirement when he took the show.

An era of entertainment over! I bet it was a lot of fun for those who got to enjoy it while it was happening.

Post subject: Re: Art Bell C2C AM
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:23 am 
Low Initiate Freemason

Where did you find this treasure trove?