The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:30 pm 
C2C Annual Guest

Been seeing some chatter bout Art getting ready to do something. Just what seems to be quite the question.
Does anyone here have any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:17 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

He's going to Sirius XM. Saw it on his facebook page.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

8)

AP story says show will run 10 pm to 1 am weeknights, so not directly competing with Coast. "Art Bell's Dark Matter" starting on Sept. 16.

Bell is 68.

On and this line about Noory from AP story:

Bell isn't a fan, saying he considers Noory "not edgy enough." Noory's program is on later at night, so the two will not compete directly live.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:58 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

Wow this is pretty sweet. Too bad I don't have SiriusXM.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:14 am 
Bilderburger Attendee

Surprised this didn't move the needle much here, considering George Noory's fan club includes none of us.

I, for one am excited. But this begs some questions:

1) How does XM/Sirius build a station around Art? Obviously they will have replays of his new show, but do they go looking for popular paranormal podcasters (ahem) to give a few slots to?

2) Why not go head to head with C2C?
A) RSS told me tonight he thinks its because XM carries C2C already on one of its talk channels so why undercut something you already have
B) Ironically it will go head to head with the slot some stations use for the Best of Art Bell. - Bell on Bell action.Which leads us to ...

3) Will Premiere still play the old Art shows. RSS thinks they have the rights and will continue to run them till eternity. But what if they serve as an advertisement for the "new" show and also work to display how shitty the current host of C2C has become.

4) Does Art still have his fastball? Five or six years off air makes you wonder, plus even when used to be on, he was pulling down one or two night's work tops per week. This may be a grind for him.

5) Does Don Ecker get pissed for the name "Dark Matter" to be used? D.E. is the one who coined that for his show. Plus, he kinda does not like AB. "The Paranormal P.T. Barnum" he has called him.

6) Will Art be played on the regular sat. radio package or eventually be moved to the exclusive Howard Stern package where it's an extra 5-10 bucks more per month.

7) Will people follow him to sat. radio if they don't already have it? Most of us are pretty piss poor (thanks great recession, banksters) and paying for sat. radio is an extravagance we might not afford.

8) No matter how you feel about Noory or the current product, Streamlink is a pretty good deal. $8 a month is still 10 less than the bottom barrel package price of XM/Sirius, plus the price of a new radio and activation.

9) Furthermore, the podcasts really helped C2C become an on-demand pleasure - which was nice given its late hour to us east and central time zone folks. Will the new Art show have such a model? I doubt it. As a former subscriber of XM who watched as Mel Karmazin roofied and had his way with the product, the price and quality kept going in different directions with the idea that ... by replaying shit enough, you won't need an iPod. Even the music stations are programmed on loops, so there is a chance of hearing the same playlist twice in one day on a station. XM used to be the same price as Streamlink - $8 a month.

10) BY giving Art full control as he says, just what the hell does that mean. The show or the channel, or both> Will he hire some ham buddies, give Hoagland his own one-hour show, give Linda "Moulton Lava" Howe an hour to play poorly recorded interviews? Will Ian Punnet return to the air for Coast Live as the warm-up show?
And will Art stick to the format of open lines first hour, then two hours of a guest, or mix it up.

11) Speaking of guests, does C2C try to lock them up with appearance deals? How many will appear on both? Will they be allowed? Even when Rense mattered, the crossover amount of guest was not too high, due to both shows having their favorite, or their go-to insiders. Hey Art, please take Ed Dames. Or else give him a new show on your station - The "Stupid Shit Said by A Carpetbagger Psychic Which Will Never Fucking Happen."

12) Would Art/Sirius/XM ever try to re-acquire the old Art shows and try to play their own classics segment every night?
Maybe C2C decides to bury them and play old Noory shows from when he first started and gave a damn. Maybe Art will be gifted old Mike Segal and Barbara Simpson shows, by Premiere lol.

13) Will Art flake out and ditch this before it happens or sometime in the near future when shit is just getting off the ground. The first retirement was justified due to the HIV sex predator teacher who abducted Art's son. The second one was a back injury and the third one, fuck. I can't even remember. There might have been a fourth, too. In any event, with the exception of a couple of those, Art has had a tendency to cut and run, and with his new family and commitments, is he biting off more than he can chew?

In any event, let the discussion, rumors and speculation begin. Things are about to get interesting.

"This series presents information based in part on theory and conjecture. The producer's purpose is to suggest some possible explanations, but not necessarily the only ones, to the mysteries we will examine."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:20 am 
Low Initiate Freemason

I don't have satellite radio, so I won't be able to listen. I'm not going to buy a satellite radio just for Art Bell.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:16 pm 
Merovingian

i do like george. even though i sometimes criticize him i still think he does a decent job hosting coast. while george has his quirks, i still like him even if it sometimes doesn't sound like it. it would be interesting to uncover what is really going on behind the scenes and why art has nothing to do with the show. also, i wonder what the relationships are between art and the other coast hosts?

last night george made a comment that caught my ear. when a caller asked george if he would be on art's new show george quickly replied "absolutely not!" he then followed up with a fast "only if he asks me." then he laughed. sounded like george wanted to let everyone know how he really felt with his first remark. then he saved himself with the latter.

i wish george would just come clean and tell us what is really going on instead of slipping in little hints every so often.

i don't have satellite radio but i've been wanting to get one. now might be a good time? i think art will do a great job getting behind the wheel again. i wonder how the sharing of guests will effect coast. i hope it remains professional between the two shows. i would hate to see it get petty where the hosts are taking pot shots at each other on air.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:12 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

Question : I have impression that "the field" has become much more "the industry" in the years since Art retired. Am I wrong? Will Art have any trouble booking or otherwise from the Naked Profiteering Esoteric Complex?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:41 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

I'm guessing the booker for his show will have one of the easiest jobs for the first couple months.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:24 am 
Bilderburger Attendee

One thing I forgot to mention, only three hours as opposed to four per show - or in the salad days of the golden era, five, yes, five hours that Art formerly did.

How does this fuck up the format?

A) One hour for open lines (ugh) one for just the guest and one for calls with the guest?

B) A half-hour for open lines and two and a half with the guest?

C) Three full hours with a guest.

I am sure the format might float depending on the interview or who is scheduled, but I would like B or C.

"This series presents information based in part on theory and conjecture. The producer's purpose is to suggest some possible explanations, but not necessarily the only ones, to the mysteries we will examine."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:12 pm 
Merovingian

i'd say art is going to cut the fat and get right into it and make the most of his three hours. however three hours is still a lot of time. does satellite radio have commercials? i don't want to sound too antiquated but i never really listened to satellite radio.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:55 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

More details from artbell.com

Show will be on Channel 104. Indie Talk.

from site:
Launch Monday September 16th (if no anomalies)
LIVE Mon-Thur 7-10pm Pacific (10pm-1am Eastern)
Replayed All Night Until 3am Pacific, 6am Eastern
Replays Friday - Best of the Week, Weekends TBA
Channel Indie Talk Channel 104 (8 Hours/Day)
Guest Booking Contact Paul Bowman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:33 pm 
Hoagland-esque

I have to agree with Art about Noory. He isn't edgy, and he gives to much credit, credence and credibility to his guests. I prefer John Wells and George Knapp. They ask the hard questions and aren't afraid to push the envelope. George Noory just seems to be doing an affirmation.

Unfortunately I don't have satellite radio, but I can probably find downloads somewhere eventually.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:17 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

redsonsuperman wrote:
I'm guessing the booker for his show will have one of the easiest jobs for the first couple months.

I certainly agree for the first say 3 - 6 months. But after the shiny wears off, what then? Do you foresee any issues? On further contemplation I'm unsure - how many of Noory's guests self publish? Forgive me if that's a laughable question, but I don't listen to the show. Is there an esoteric mafia out there?