The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NHL PLAYOFFS
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:31 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

There has to be some Hockey fans on this site, and with the regular season ending tomorrow, it seems fitting to see who thinks who is gonna hoist Lord Stanley's cup this year.

EDIT: I knew I should have waited till today to set this up. There have been some changes in the standings on the last day if the season, which I figured would happen in the east only, but there have been some changes in the west as well.

The first round in the west will be:

San Jose (1) Vs Colorado (8)
Chicago (2) Vs Nashville (7)
Vancouver (3) Vs L.A (6)
Phoenix (4) Vs Detroit (5)

and in the east we have:

Washington (1) Vs Montreal (8)
New Jersey (2) Vs Philadelphia (7)
Buffalo (3) Vs Boston (6)
Pittsburgh (4) Vs Ottawa (5)

Seeing as my Beloved Maple Leafs will be on the back 9 as the playoffs are going on (AGAIN) I think I would like to see Washington win the cup. I love a good story, and this would make a great one. The Ovechkin/Crosby thing has been great for Hockey.

Last year you had Crosby winning the cup, after a great conference final series vs Washington when both he and Ovechkin scored hat tricks in the same game and going to 7 games. Then this year you had both of them battling for the Rocket Richard trophy, with Ovie taking the lead for that one the other night with 50 goals (Crosby has 49 with an extra game). ** EDIT Crosby finished woth 51 goals and Ovechkin remained at 50** Crosby led team Canada to Olympic gold, with the Great 8 going home with nothing. Washington winning the cup would be a good next chapter to the saga.

( I will wait till Monday to make my east predictions)

For the West I have:

San Jose in 6 games (although the Sharks like to choke in the playoffs)
Chicago in 4 games (Chicago is stacked with talent)

Vancouver in 7 games (L.A could be the only upset I have in the first, good young team)
Phoenix in 5 games (Detroit just isn't the same powerhouse they were last year)

So whats you picks for the first round? Any upsets? How many games?

**Even with the changes, I still think my picks will remain the same, although the # of games may change.**

Last edited by Stucifer on Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: NHL PLAYOFFS
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:49 am 
Modern Day Nephilim

Stucifer wrote:
There has to be some Hockey fans on this site, and with the regular season ending tomorrow, it seems fitting to see who thinks who is gonna hoist Lord Stanley's cup this year.

The West is locked up, but we will have to see who clenches 7th and 8th place in the East on Monday.

The first round in the west will be:

Chicago (1) Vs Colorado (8)
San Jose (2) Vs Nashville (7)
Vancouver (3) Vs L.A (6)
Phoenix (4) Vs Detroit (5)

and in the east we have:

Washington (1) Vs either Philadelphia or New York (depending on their last game)
New Jersey (2) Vs either Montreal or Philadelphia or New York (depending on their last game)
Buffalo (3) Vs Boston (6)
Pittsburgh (4) Vs Ottawa (5)

(I will edit the final 7th and 8th place tomorrow)

Seeing as my Beloved Maple Leafs will be on the back 9 as the playoffs are going on (AGAIN) I think I would like to see Washington win the cup. I love a good story, and this would make a great one. The Ovechkin/Crosby thing has been great for Hockey.

Last year you had Crosby winning the cup, after a great conference final series vs Washington when both he and Ovechkin scored hat tricks in the same game and going to 7 games. Then this year you had both of them battling for the Rocket Richard trophy, with Ovie taking the lead for that one the other night with 50 goals (Crosby has 49 with an extra game). Crosby led team Canada to Olympic gold, with the Great 8 going home with nothing. Washington winning the cup would be a good next chapter to the saga.

( I will wait till Monday to make my east predictions)

For the West I have:

Chicago in 4 games (Chicago is stacked with talent)
San Jose in 6 games (although the Sharks like to choke in the playoffs)
Vancouver in 7 games (L.A could be the only upset I have in the first, good young team)
Phoenix in 5 games (Detroit just isn't the same powerhouse they were last year)

So whats you picks for the first round? Any upsets? How many games?

Chicago
SJ
Vancouver
Detroit -- There is absolutely ZERO chance of the Coyotes winning four of five games against the Red Wings. If anything it would go seven, but more than likely, it will be Detroit winning in five.

Detroit definitely isn't the team they were last season. But the Coyotes are garbage.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:13 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

I keep flip flopping on the Detroit Vs Phoenix series.

The only reason I gave Phoenix the edge is because with all the ownership issues and talk of moving the team and blah blah blah, they have managed to exceed every ones expectations.

But on the other hand Detroit has been riddled with injuries of their top players all season long. Like 9+ weeks at a time. A lot of these guys are back now and could make Detroit more dangerous then they were during the regular season.

** Now I must edit my east picks**

Washington in 4. **Over Montreal, for the same reason I had before. The Habs are too small to take a 7 game pounding from any team. **

New Jersey over the Flyers ill say in 6. Philadelphia has shaky goaltending and even if they can get a few wins, I don't think they can sustain a win streak.

Sabers in 4 over Boston. Boston can't score goals and they have to deal with Miller, which there is no way they will score on him. They will be lucky to score a single goal all series.

The Pittsburgh Vs Ottawa series is the toughest one to call in the east. Ottawa has shown streaks of greatness during the season, but have also looked really bad at other times. They also have bad luck in the post season. Pittsburgh is not as solid as they were last year, but I think they are good enough to pull of a series win. I think it will be a tight series, but I will have to say Penguins in 7

** OK now we got it all in the right order**

Last edited by Stucifer on Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:32 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Stucifer wrote:
I keep flip flopping on the Detroit Vs Phoenix series.

The only reason I gave Phoenix the edge is because with all the ownership issues and talk of moving the team and blah blah blah, they have managed to exceed every ones expectations.

But on the other hand Detroit has been riddled with injuries of their top players all season long. Like 9+ weeks at a time. A lot of these guys are back now and could make Detroit more dangerous then they were during the regular season.

Even though I am still waiting to see who clenches 8th spot in the east, I will make my predictions anyways, because I really don't think it will matter who Washington faces.

Washington in 4. Philadelphia doesn't have the goal tending to stop the Caps, and the Rangers are not that strong either.

Devils in 6 over Montreal. Montreal is too small of a team to go very far in the post season.

Sabers in 4 over Boston. Boston can't score goals and they have to deal with Miller, which there is no way they will score on him. They will be lucky to score a single goal all series.

The Pittsburgh Vs Ottawa series is the toughest one to call in the east. Ottawa has shown streaks of greatness during the season, but have also looked really bad at other times. They also have bad luck in the post season. Pittsburgh is not as solid as they were last year, but I think they are good enough to pull of a series win. I think it will be a tight series, but I will have to say Penguins in 7

Wash
NJ
Buff
Pitt

And I'm going to out on a limb and say -- Sharks over the Sabres in the NHL Finals.

P.S.

I think Tip is a helluva coach --- I just don't think Phoenix has is prepared to start knocking off teams with the likes of Zetterberg and Datsyuk just yet.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:58 pm 
Hoagland-esque

I am just getting into hockey, I'm just realizing what a great sport it is. I don't know enough to make picks, but I'm pretty close to San Jose, so as Ralph Barbieri would say, Go Sharks!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:34 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

I wonder if Jboston is feeling confident in his Pens? :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:01 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

redsonsuperman wrote:
Stucifer wrote:

Wash
NJ
Buff
Pitt

And I'm going to out on a limb and say -- Sharks over the Sabres in the NHL Finals.

P.S.

I think Tip is a helluva coach --- I just don't think Phoenix has is prepared to start knocking off teams with the likes of Zetterberg and Datsyuk just yet.

Ya, I hear ya about Detroit. Like I was saying in my other post they have had most of their big guns on the self for large parts of the season. A healthy Detroit could make a big splash indeed.

Buffalo has the goalie, but I am not sure they have the offense to make it to the finals. But we will see. Sharks are a pretty good pick though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

You all are crazy. The Bruins are going to surprise everyone and dominate the whole tourney.

Okay, okay, I know. The Bruins suck. But a man can dream, can't he?

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:06 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

Area51 wrote:
I am just getting into hockey, I'm just realizing what a great sport it is. I don't know enough to make picks, but I'm pretty close to San Jose, so as Ralph Barbieri would say, Go Sharks!

San Jose is a great choice. They have been one of the most deadly teams in the regular season for years. But they have bad luck in the playoffs. Usually get upset in the early rounds. But I think they are due to make it all the way. They have too much fire power to fail for ever. It very well could be their year.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:13 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

binnall wrote:
You all are crazy. The Bruins are going to surprise everyone and dominate the whole tourney.

Okay, okay, I know. The Bruins suck. But a man can dream, can't he?

Ha ha ha, I knew it was a matter of time before you came in to mention Boston Tim lmao

The Phil Kessle trade was a bit of a disaster for both teams. We got all your scoring, and you are getting a top 3 first round pick this year and a 1st and 2nd round next year. When the Leafs made that trade, they believed they would finish a lot higher then that, but shit happens, and Boston is poised to get some good players in return.

Then there is Raskk. What a dumb trade we made there. Him for Raycroft? wow Leafs and Boston need to stop trading... it's too painful lmao.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:34 pm 
Classic C2C Prognosticator

Detroit is peaking - they'll take the Cup in 5 from the Caps.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:01 am 
Hoagland-esque

Stucifer wrote:
Area51 wrote:

They have been one of the most deadly teams in the regular season for years. But they have bad luck in the playoffs.

Yeah they definitely have a curse, hopefully they can get it done this year. I've been downloading all kinds of hockey games and I can't wait for the playoffs to start.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:53 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

Paul Kimball wrote:
Detroit is peaking - they'll take the Cup in 5 from the Caps.

EA Sports just did their annual simulation series using NHL 10, much like they do with Madden each year, and they Predict Chicago taking it in 7 games from the Penguins.

That outcome seems likely actually.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:56 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

Area51 wrote:
Stucifer wrote:
Area51 wrote:

They have been one of the most deadly teams in the regular season for years. But they have bad luck in the playoffs.

Yeah they definitely have a curse, hopefully they can get it done this year. I've been downloading all kinds of hockey games and I can't wait for the playoffs to start.

It all begins tonight brother!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:17 pm 
Hoagland-esque

Stucifer wrote:
Area51 wrote:
Stucifer wrote:

It all begins tonight brother!

Sharks lost :(

The curse remains...