The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:57 am 
Oil Industry Executive

Some people call that a low point. I call those people crazy. Watching a crying Big Show holding on to a casket while being dragged around a graveyard by a police car was the best thing ever.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:18 am 
Modern Day Nephilim

Found a pretty incredible podcast recently for you 'rasslin fans.

It's called Formerly Creative. Each episode runs about 45 minutes (and that leaves you wanting more).

It's a podcast from David Lagana, former WWE lead writer, who was recently a producer for Ring of Honor.

Peels the curtain back on the biz.
Not over the top with gossip on the wrestlers, like shoot interviews can be. But you definitely learn a little about the crap that goes on in Vince's kingdom.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

Added to the class after RAW went off the air this week: "Bullet" Bob Armstrong

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:16 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

I remember watching "I'm The Bullet, I am not Bob Armstrong" when I was knee high to a duck. Feels like his feud with The Tennessee Stud lasted about 15 years. Everybody in my elementary school knew nobody could beat up The Bullet.

Unfortunately 20 years later we had to put up with his idiot son a a major f'ing star. Thankfully that was short lived.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:16 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Wow, this Hall of Fame class keeps getting worse. At least this one makes some sense given his Georgia wresling ties. But still...it's like they picked the one guy from back then with no pop. No wonder they announced it off-air.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I never liked any of the Armstrongs, so this does nothing for me.

Fuck, I'd rather they had announced that Stephanie was going in to the Hall of Fame.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

Road Warriors and Abby will help boster this class.

Sunny is the icing on the cake (*ducks RSS's next verbal assault, lol*)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:04 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

binnall wrote:
Road Warriors and Abby will help boster this class.

Sunny is the icing on the cake (*ducks RSS's next verbal assault, lol*)

Nah, I'll do worse...I'll make you look at another WWE DIVA. Sapphire.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

Do not diss the late, great, Sweet Sapphire !

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:42 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

I do admit I don't see ole Bullet Bob as a HOF kinda guy. He was someone we watched on the local show that always got it handed to him when he stepped up to try to fight "in the big leagues" for the NWA titles. I mean I grew up in a town of ~1500 people and the The Bullet was in our gym once every year and half or so. Yeah, he did it forever and a day. Yeah, he has some pretty good feuds. Yeah, he made little baby wrestlers like a jackrabbit. But I don't see him as belonging in the company of HOFers.

Oh, and as soon as Dusty put on the polka dots he went from being a favorite to being HATED by me. That gimmick totally ruined him for me, and I think maybe somewhere Magnum TA shed a tear.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:35 am 
Oil Industry Executive

Ya know, the story for YEARS was that the whole Polka Dot thing was cooked up by Vince as a means of humiliating/punishing Dusty, but eventually it came out that it was his idea. Whatever the case, those "Common Man" promo bits were weird as hell. Dusty talking about manure ("doodoo is good for me, and doodoo is good for you!") and meat ("you can't beat our prices, but you sure can beat our meat!"). That whole gimmick was...something.

As for Bob Armstrong, yeah, I can appreciate he's been in the business for over fifty years but he was always a second tier guy. He was sort of a jobber to the stars who could be passed off as a "name" worker in smaller promotions. One of those deals where he had a good career, was a recognized name, but was never really a star. Lots of tag title reigns and he got the NWA Southern Heavyweight Title at various times in Memphis, Florida, and Georgia, but I don't think he was ever really a standout in his era to the point that he's a HOFer.

And honestly, he loses points for all things Road Dogg/B.G. James/New Age Outlaws related. Ugh.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

Bob Armstrong is one of those dudes who became a legend just by lasting a long time, never leaving the business, and spawning a 2nd generation of 'stars.'

Guys like Dick Murdoch and Wahoo McDaniel definitely deserve inclusion before him.

Hell, the WWE HoF doesn't even have Lou Thesz in there and he's considered, alongside Flair, one of the greatest of all time. He's one of those glaring omissions that stand out and make the HoF look like a joke (see also: Bruno Sammartino & Randy Savage).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:11 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Sunny added to the Class of 2011.

Ridiculous. Jobbers Iron Mike Sharpe, Mr. X, Barry O, S.D. Jones or Steve Lombardi are more deserving.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:32 pm 
Site Admin

Of that group, I only endorse Mr. X

I've been awaiting your rage, RSS. Nice puke icon ! Love it !!

Was hoping for the Abby induction tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:36 am 
Oil Industry Executive

I know they're trying to pass her off as "the first Diva" or whatever, but truly, she had what? A three year run managing tag teams in the WWF? Her most marketable talent was being hot and she's probably just as well known for her behind the scenes drama (Banging Shawn Michaels, possibly banging Bret Hart, and a toxic codependent relationship with Chris Candido) as anything she did in the ring. When they trotted her out a few years back and she got almost NO pop at all, it sort of said everything that needed to be said. She was ephemera and didn't leave much of a lasting impression on anyone that wasn't a horny teenager at the time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

Orpheus wrote:
She was ephemera and didn't leave much of a lasting impression on anyone that wasn't a horny teenager at the time.

So, she's like pro wrestling's Joyce DeWitt.

Here's a recent pic of Sunny. She hasn't aged well.